Re: [Xen-devel] Re: changeset 13403 ...

To: Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@xxxxxxx>, Joe Bonasera <joe.bonasera@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: changeset 13403 ...
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 18:30:39 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 10:30:29 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 1/2/07 16:10, "Gerd Hoffmann" <kraxel@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> It's another protocol change: you can't switch from one self-consistent
> set of page tables to another set of self-consistent page tables (where
> the old set has only the old pagetables but not the new ones mapped
> read-only, same for the new set and the old tables) any more.

Yeah, it turned out to be a pain in the butt feature to support (due to
interactions with all the different paging modes we support, including
shadow modes) and it was basically broken in lots of configurations (e.g.,
try using it while live migrating? It wasn't gonna work! :-). This was
exacerbated by the fact the feature was rarely tested, since it's only used
by the ongoing kexec domU development work.

 -- Keir