Re: [Xen-devel] connecting dom0 directly to the bridge(was:performance p

To: Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] connecting dom0 directly to the bridge(was:performance problems...)
From: Goetz Bock <bock@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 22:44:59 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 21:55:35 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Jan 13 '06 at 08:00, James Harper wrote:

> > > I've been doing that with xen 2.0 and xen 3.0.0, what's bad
> > > about doing this?
> >
> > You shouldn't connect directly if you run services in dom0 for the
> > domU's. Using vif0.0 prevents a possible deadlock.
> >

> I must be missing something here... doesn't the init script itself add
> eth0 to xen-br0??? Does dom0 somehow internally create vif0.0 as a
> mirror of eth0?
What the init script does is:
- rename eth0 to peth0
- make a bridge xen-br0
- add peth0 to the bridge
- create a virtual interface (vif0.0?) add it to the bridge
- (some how create a new interface named eth0 and connect it (via
  vif0.0?) to the bridge too)
- configore the old IP to this new interface

What I've been doing on all my xen and uml boxes, ever since:
- make a bridge: xen-br0
- add eth0 to the bridge
- configure the systems (dom0) IP to xen-br0

Seamed to work fine. But now that I think of it, I might have some
deadlocks, but they always locked up eth0 in a way that I had to
unload/reload the module...

BTW: when replying to my mails, could you PLEASE not also CC me. I read
     this list. If time permits all posts.
--
/"\ Goetz Bock at blacknet dot de  --  secure mobile Linux everNETting
\ /       (c) 2006 Creative Commons, Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 de