Re: [Xen-devel] [BUG] x86-64 floating point environment handling

On 28 Nov 2005, at 16:40, Jan Beulich wrote:

It's very unlikely we'd implement expensive and complicated logic in
Xen to ensure consistency of FP state that noone uses.

In any case you should use a 64-bit operand size.

If noone uses those fields then it doesn't matter either way. It seems that binutils provides no convenient way to force REX.W on that instruction.

Further, I don't share your opinion: For one part, no-one says it's
only Linux that's going to run on top of Xen, and you really can't make
claims on what apps namely in a non-paravirtualized environment may or
may not use. For the other part, things that today don't get used don't
have to stay that way forever. Why shouldn't software not yet available
for (or not yet widely used on) Linux use functionality that native
hardware provides and that Xen (and Linux without the just submitted
patch) only partly supports?

Well, we'll support those fields properly if there's a sane not-too-expensive scheme for saving them properly. I didn't understand the scheme that you proposed in your first email.

 -- Keir