Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Xen 3.0 for OpenBSD

> On 10/12/05, Dave Feustel <dfeustel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I figure if I take this path, I'm on my own, but I am starting to feel
> > like maybe I could do it. But then I could be wrong too. Only way to find
> > out is at some point to try. I certainly will learn a lot about the guts
> > of OpenBSD that way. :-)
>
> Good luck. Great thing about Xen, will make it easy to test without
> taking down your computer. Plus it makes it easy for other people to
> try.

Using OpenBSD should be possible under VT.  Regarding a port of OBSD to Xen, I
don't think anybody has worked on it yet.  The code from the other BSD ports
will be useful (due to compatible licensing).  It's not clear how much OBSD
and NetBSD have diverged, though - the code probably won't just "slot in"
anyhow :-(

Personally, I've observed quite a lot of hostility to Xen among OBSD community
people, largely due to what I'd call "religious objections", which is a
shame.  None of these people are necessarily "important" though, they're just
the ones I've heard something definitive from.  Although this is probably
just a vocal minority, there certainly don't seem to be the positive vibes
that you see in some other OS communities (like the other BSDs) - I guess if
someone stepped up with (at least an offer of) some code, one might get a
more concrete reaction from developers.

Cheers,
Mark