Re: [Xen-devel] Bugs with block devices to domU - let's find solution

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Bugs with block devices to domU - let's find solution
From: Guryanov Dmitry <dimak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 19:03:15 +0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 15:00:11 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ewan Mellor wrote:

On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 09:06:51PM +0400, Guryanov Dmitry wrote:

Hello

I have the same bug, that've been disscussed before - domU can't find any block devices and crashes with "Unable to mount root fs". I've spend a week under heavy debugging and find, that this bug take place because dom0 backend driver can't read parameter physical-device from xenstore. For example /local/domain/0/backend/vbd/1/776/physical_device, where 1- domU id, 776=0x308 - major and minor numbers of block device, which will used by domU. This parameter must be written by script /etc/xen/scripts/block, which must start like /etc/xen/scripts/vif-bridge any time as domU starts, but it doesn't.

So, there is a question to xen developers: when and how must this script must been started ?

This script is run by your hotplug / udev installation inside dom0 when the
domU starts up.  Do you have hotplug and udev installed in dom0?

Ewan.

Thanks, that's was a bug, now it works properly.