Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 2.0.8 with 2.6.12 support?

To: Steven Hand <Steven.Hand@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 2.0.8 with 2.6.12 support?
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 13:13:07 +0300
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 10:10:28 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 10:58:03AM +0100, Steven Hand wrote:

> > Is xen 2.0.8 with 2.6.12 support going to be released anytime soon?
> > xen-2.0-testing with 2.6.12 seems to work OK at least for me..
>
> We have a few more fixes we need to get tested, but after that we'll
> hopefully release a 2.0.8.

OK.. good to know!

> The major delay right now is that most people are working on trying
> to get 3.0.0 out the door which doesn't leave a lot of time for 2.x!

Yep.. understandable :)

> It's good to get reports like your which demonstrate that things
> seem to work well.

Xen 2.0-testing with 2.6.12 is most stable xen so far.. at least on my
boxes.

I've had some problems with 2.6.10 and 2.6.11 versions. 2.6.12 is good.

> > And we already have 2.6.13 available, and 2.6.14 soon.. is xen 2.0 going to
> > be maintained still, or is all effort going to xen 3.0 ?
>
> Most effort is going to xen 3.0 ; in addition, we're moving towards
> a model where the linux parts of xen (i.e. the bits currently in the
> "sparse trees") will be pushed upstream. A lot of people are working
> on this (see e.g. the xen-merge mailing list, or the mercurial
> repository at http://xenbits.xensource.com/linux-2.6-xen.hg)
>
> However it is unlikely that this same work will support xen 2.x,
> at least initially.

That's nice.. no need to worry about which kernel version is supported after
that :)

-- Pasi Kärkkäinen

                                   ^
                                .     .