Re: [Xen-devel] xm list d flag?

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] xm list d flag?
From: Ewan Mellor <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 15:40:45 +0100
Delivery-date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 14:38:23 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, Oct 01, 2005 at 08:17:40AM -0400, Ted Kaczmarek wrote:

> I have a domain that is sticking around after issuing an xm shutdown on
> it.
>
> xen_changeset
> Fri Sep 30 10:45:20 2005 +0100 71466686d026
>
> xm list is showing a d flag in the state section, what is this flag?

"dying".  This flag has always been around, but we've not been printing it
until recently.  Previously, such domains may still have been stuck as they are
now, but xend will not have printed them as such, or may not have printed them
at all.

A "dying" domain is one that completed shutdown (be it a halt, reboot, crash,
or suspend) and that Xen is trying to destroy.  If it cannot destroy it, then
that means that someone is holding references to pages that belong to it.  For
example, if a driver backend fails to die, then the domain will stay around
(probably indefinitely).  Such an occurrence is a bug.

Ewan.