Re: [Xen-devel] domU NFS performance

To: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] domU NFS performance
From: Nicholas Lee <emptysands@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 22:23:11 +1200
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 10:21:14 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 8/29/05, Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> No, I would expect that to work just fine. We certainly run our own
> servers with most networked services running in domUs, but I don't
> think that includes an NFS server (i.e., that configuration is likely
> untested).
>
> What version of Xen are you using? Anything special about your network
> setup (or is it the default bridged setup)? Any special NFS
> server/client settings?

Pretty standard Debian sarge installs.
nic@bowl:~$ xm dmesg  | head -15 | grep versio
  Xen version 2.0.6 (root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) (gcc version 3.3.5 (Debian
1:3.3.5-13)) Fri Jun 24 01:18:07 NZST 2005

Xen bridged defaults for networking.

Bulk standard NFS. rsize and wsize tuning don't seem to make much
difference with the IO stalling issue.

In three configurations I've tested now with exactly the same domU.

NFS home-dir from domU
NFS home-dir from xen0 (host xen)
LVM home-dir

Only the first had these issues.

I haven't tested NFS home-dir from a dom0 (not the host xen).

NFS home-dir from domU over a network seemed to work fine.

NFS/domU on the same machine is really the only major issue I've
faced. I have a couple very busy domUs.  One with a disk active 4GL
accounting application server on a LVM slice, and that has no
problems.

One of the things I've noted when using mutt is particular problems
with 'c' opening a new folder.  I'm using courier-imap/maildir, and my
mail spool has almost a 1000 folders.

--
Nicholas Lee
http://stateless.geek.nz