Re: [Xen-devel] [Q] GRUB -> __start_xen?

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [Q] GRUB -> __start_xen?
From: Chris Wright <chrisw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 11:53:55 -0700
Cc: bharadwaj.yadavalli@xxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 18:52:55 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
* Bharadwaj Yadavalli (bharadwaj.yadavalli@xxxxxx) wrote:
> On x86 (and may be other architectures), it appears to me
> that xen's entry point is
>          void __init __start_xen(multiboot_info_t *mbi)

I believe it is actually 'start' in arch/x86/boot/x86_32.S, for
example.  At least, that's the elf entry point which does low-level
setup before calling __start_xen.  In there you should find the layout
of the multiboot header that grub requires.

> that lives in xeno-unstable.bk/xen/arch/x86/setup.c.
> 1. Who builds the structure mbi and calls __start_xen?

The boot loader, and then stashes it in specified register (ebx in this

> 2. How is __satrt_xen registered as the entry point?

start is the elf entry point.

> Is there a place that I can read to understand the transfer
> of control from multiboot GRUB to xen's entry point?

For more info on multiboot, read: