Re: [Xen-devel] debugging libxc / builders

To: Tim Newsham <newsham@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] debugging libxc / builders
From: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:55:43 -0500
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 03:54:58 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tim Newsham wrote:

   I'm playing with the builders in libxc.  I am having trouble
debugging the thing.  I was wondering what options I have.

  - When I run 'xm create', what process calls down to the
    xc_builder stuff?  Can I attach to it with gdb?

Xend (the daemon) actually calls the xc_XXX_build function. The C invocation occurs in the xc bindings. I'm not aware of an easy way to attach to bindings with gdb (although I presume it's possible).

Any hints or tips appreciated.

It would probably be significantly easier to debug builder issues with VM-Tools. There's a single executable (vm-build.linux for instance) that only does building and can be stepped through with gdb.

Of course, you could also write your own really simple app with libxc that just did a few calls to create and build the domain. You don't need any of the control channel stuff until the domain starts to actually boot.

I can give you a more detailed example if you need.

Anthony Liguori

Tim Newsham