Re: [Xen-devel] Re: xend issues

To: Arun Sharma <arun.sharma@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: xend issues
From: Mike Wray <mike.wray@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 15:08:12 +0100
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:17:54 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Arun Sharma wrote:
Arun Sharma wrote:

Lately, I'm having trouble destroying VMX domains (probably due to bad reference counts) - although all memory associated with the domain is freed up.

Subsequently, if I create a new domain of the same name, the domain id is wrong.

# xm list
Name              Id  Mem(MB)  CPU VCPU(s)  State  Time(s)  Console
Domain-0           0      245    0      1   r----     50.8
ExampleVMXDomain   1        0    0      1   -----     22.5     9601
ExampleVMXDomain   1        0    0      1   -----     22.5     9601

Even the uuid of the two domains is the same in the long listing below.

This may be due to a xend 'feature'. When deciding whether there is a vm name
clash,
xend ignores 'dead' domains, so that zombies don't stop you reusing the name.
Since the ExampleVMXDomain has mem 0 I'd guess it's been destroyed but
refused to die. The duplicate ids are a puzzle though, since the xend domain
map is indexed by domain id.

The kernel cleanup for VMX domains in xend releases the device model event
channel -
but it seems from another message that the device model is not using the port
that xend has, but another one. This might account for the domain refusing to go
away - open event channels will do that.

BTW, this issue doesn't happen if I use a different name for the new domain (xm create name=foo). Normally xend doesn't let me create two domains with the same name. But in this case, it does let me do it and then gets confused about domain ids and uuids.

Mike