RE: [Xen-devel] Review needed for "commonisation"ofcommon/grant_table.c

To: "Magenheimer, Dan \(HP Labs Fort Collins\)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>, "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>, <cwc22@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Review needed for "commonisation"ofcommon/grant_table.c
From: "Dong, Eddie" <eddie.dong@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 11:01:48 +0800
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 03:01:49 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins) wrote:

> I understand (I think) how it works on x86.  But the memory
> model is somewhat different on ia64.  Domain 0 has access
> to all of machine memory and can create a duplicate mapping
> for any page of any unprivileged guest.  This is not controlled
> by Xen (in the current implementation).
Doesn't XEN/domain0 use ballon driver to give memory to HV and
let HV memory system allocate for other domains? Or are you proposing
a new XEN memory mechanism (can you share with us for the details
so that we can be in same page if this is the case)?
But anyway I don't think IA64 has such kind of specials.
> As long as a page
> is shared between Domain 0 and Domain N, I don't see that
> reference counts are necessary.
Don't you want to keep the capability for the code coming soon?

> If pages are to be shared between two unprivileged domains,
> there may be some value in reference counts.  But that doesn't
> fit very well with the current frontend/backend model.

Eddie