RE: [Xen-devel] make mkpatches broken

On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 00:56 +0100, Ian Pratt wrote:
> Several of the the team are of the strong view that requiring users to
> create an account and login to submit a bug means that many bugs don't
> get submitted out of laziness.

The problem in this case is that if they're too lazy to create an
account, they're going to be too lazy to provide you all the information
you need on the first time around and/or provide follow-up.  It's hard
enough even with people who go to the effort of creating an account.

You also help to avoid the issue of bugtracker spamming with this -- I
haven't actually seen bugtracker spam, but wiki spam is getting more and
more common (thus having more and more wikis requiring account
creation).  But this is just hypothetical on my part.

> I guess the simplest hack would just be to change the bugzilla login
> dialogue such that it tells people to login with an acount called 'bug'
> password 'bug' if they don't want to create a real account.

This might be an (albeit hacky) workable way to deal with the "problem".
And gives an easy way to shut it down if it does get abused.

> Other than this, I'm not aware of any strong preference of Trac over
> Bugzilla. It would be good to hear if other people have strong views
> either way.

My preference towards bugzilla is mostly due to
a) everyone else in the world uses it, so people are used to it
b) some tools are starting to be written that nicely talk to bugzillas
and give you nicer ways to get the data than using web forms using, eg,
the XML-RPC support and other things

Jeremy