RE: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Xen requirments document

To: "Rik van Riel" <riel@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Mike D. Day" <ncmike@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Xen requirments document
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 22:55:46 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:55:35 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> core.dynamic.memory - I'm not sure if it is possible yet to
> boot a domain with less memory than its maximum, and grow the
> domain's memory later through the balloon driver

Yep, if you set mem= on the kernel command line to more memory than the
domain has at the time of creation, the mem_map is sized for the larger
amount, and you can balloon more memory in.

> we're missing an io.device.virt.discovery - in order to be
> able to install into, and manage, a virtual machine, the OS
> needs the ability to discover what virtual devices are
> present - exporting through sysfs would work fine.
> Since this is a requirement for many system administration
> tools (eg. kudzu), this should probably be a Xen v3.0 target

Xenbus should handle this, and is a requirement for 3.0.

> io.protocol.ipsec and io.protocol.ipv6 seem to just work, by
> virtue of Xen emulating ethernet instead of any particular
> protocol - at least ipv6 works in bridging mode, I haven't
> tried routed mode yet, nor ipsec

There's no reason why ipv6 and ipsec shouldn't just work. The only area
that requires some thought is if the decryption routines
decrypt-in-place in the skb data area then we should probably mark them
to be scrubbed before recycling them as free buffers. Patch, anyone?

Ian