Re: [Xen-devel] Bug tracking system

To: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Bug tracking system
From: Paul Larson <plars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:17:51 -0500
Cc: m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 21:17:39 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Anthony Liguori wrote:

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 15:49, Ian Pratt wrote:

We discussed this a bit at the summit. We have 'trac' set up and ready
to go, but we weren't planning on announcing it until we fork off
3.0-testing around the end of May/ beginning of June. If there was
strong demand, we'd obviously revist this, but my impression is that the
mailing lists are working effectively and bugs generally get fixed
pretty quickly. (Last week and this have been a bit tough because of the
summit and now Usenix TC)

I personally think we need something for the interim.  I'm not sure
whether we need a full bug database but we at least need something to
keep a list of current issues. (Perhaps a page on the wiki?)

Regards,
Wikis are nice and simple but have a few obvious problems:
1. It can quickly become cumbersome for more than a handful of bugs
2. doesn't encourage details to be submitted along with the bug report
(you're likely to get a lot of one-liner's that only the submitter
understands how to reproduce)
3. remember that if it's not the final solution, it'll have to be
transferred to the new one

What is appealing about Trac that made you want to use it?  Is there
something you like about trac in particular, or hate about bugzilla?
I've noticed that a lot of people tend to customize bugzilla, so I know
that a lot of gripes can be overcome.  If it's really a concern, then it
might be better to go with bugzilla from the start rather than trying to
transfer everything later.  Personally I don't have a preference as long
as there's some system available to keep things from falling through the
cracks.

Thanks,
Paul Larson