[Xen-devel] Linux question, user space virtual mem layout

To: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Linux question, user space virtual mem layout
From: Jacob Gorm Hansen <jacobg@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 19:26:10 -0700
Delivery-date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 02:26:12 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
hi,

I am trying to allow dom0 to be mapped permanently in the top parts of all domU address spaces, to save some TLB flushes when doing I/O (on x86-32) and see how much that helps performance.

So far I have managed to get the dom0 kernel, and a relinked user space, to live between 0xf0000000 and 0xfc000000 where Xen starts. But I have the problem that even though me user-space binaries are linked to reside in the 0xf0000000 -> 0xf6000000 virtual area, mmap() in Linux still likes to create mappings below 0xf0000000.

Can anyone on this list tell me how I can instruct Linux not to go below a certain address when dealing out virtual mappings to user-space?

Thanks in advance,
Jacob