Re: [Xen-devel] xen-2.0.5 vs xen-2.0-testing and version identification

To: James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] xen-2.0.5 vs xen-2.0-testing and version identification on xen.gz
From: stevegt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Steve Traugott)
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 21:38:23 -0700
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 08:14:13 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 09:54:45PM +1000, James Harper wrote:
> Also, the standard xen build just builds a file called xen.gz. Can I
> suggest that we call it something like xen-2.0.5.gz or
> xen-2.0-testing.gz so that multiple versions could be installed at once?
> Obviously it's pretty easy to rename the file manually myself if nobody
> else thinks it's a good idea...

I highly second this suggestion -- this past weekend (after losing
several hours messing around with the wrong xen+xenolinux) I spent some
time trying to figure out how to safely add a user-specified optional
environment variable (like $REVISION below) which along with
EXTRAVERSION would get appended to *all* of the filenames which are
installed in /boot, so it's easier to keep different build products
straight.  This is easy to do with standard Linux and the Debian kernel
build tools, but I haven't figured out the right way to do it with Xen
or Xenolinux yet, short of patching makefiles and/or the install script.
I'll look at it again when I get a chance -- I'm netless at the moment.

For example, right now 'uname -r' on my (non-Xen) laptop returns:

    2.4.22spirit.7+600x

...and the related files in /boot are:

    config-2.4.22spirit.7+600x
    vmlinuz-2.4.22spirit.7+600x
    System.map-2.4.22spirit.7+600x
    initrd.img-2.4.22spirit.7+600x

This was all built with something like this:

    EXTRAVERSION=spirit.7+600x
    REVISION=`hostname`.`date '+%s'`
    cd /usr/src/linux
    make-kpkg clean
    cp /usr/src/linux-config/$EXTRAVERSION /usr/src/linux/.config
    make-kpkg --initrd --revision $REVISION \
        --append_to_version $EXTRAVERSION binary modules_image
    dpkg -i kernel-image-2.4.22$EXTRAVERSION_$REVISION_i386.deb
    grub-menugen > /boot/grub/menu.lst

That 'grub-menugen' is a straightforward Perl script which regenerates
menu.lst from what it finds in /boot, putting the most recent kernel at
the top of the list as the boot default.

You can extrapolate from there to see what's happening with modules.

Steve
--
Stephen G. Traugott  (KG6HDQ)
UNIX/Linux Infrastructure Architect, TerraLuna LLC