Re: [Xen-devel] domU to dom0 security

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Brian Hays <brian.hays@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] domU to dom0 security
From: Mark Williamson <maw48@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 19:44:13 +0000
Delivery-date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 19:56:36 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I am considering using XEN to host "virtual dedicated servers" for a
> few of my clients. Are there any security issues that would allow domU
> (guestOS) admins access to dom0

No the aim is for domUs to have no more power to abuse dom0 than a separate
physical machine would (i.e. they'd have to use some sort of network based
attack, just like another machine would).

> or global xend commands by default?

I think the current default is to accept Xend commands anywhere (!).  You can
restrict this to only allow commands from localhost (i.e. from users local to
dom0).  This is a bit better, as long as you trust your dom0 users.

You'll probably want to use some firewall rules in dom0 to isolate the Xend
and Xfrd services appropriately.

Cheers,
Mark