Re: [Xen-devel] shutdown a hangup domU?

To: aq <aquynh@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] shutdown a hangup domU?
From: Tupshin Harper <tupshin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 01:58:52 -0800
Cc: Xen-Devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 09:58:40 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
aq wrote:

hello,

I run Debian linux on Xen as domU. Once it hangup, and not responsive
at all. I try to shut it down from dom0 with "xm shutdown ...", but to
no avail. No matter how many times I tried this, the domU still hangup
and refuse to shutdown.

I would like to know if there is a guaranteed way to shutdown a domU,
other than "xm shutdown"?

Thank you a lot,
aq
My understanding is that xm shutdown is equivalent to doing a "shutdown -h" in the domU. But if the domU has really crashed, then you can forcefully and uncleanly destroy it with "xm destroy".

-Tupshin