Re: [Xen-devel] Interest in running ReactOS and Windows under Xen

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Interest in running ReactOS and Windows under Xen
From: Mark Williamson <Mark.Williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 23:58:59 +0000
Cc: Steven Edwards <steven_ed4153@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 14:21:37 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Is there any interest in running Windows under Xen?

Definitely.  Eventually the Vanderpool support should enable this.

Last I heard, it was thought that it *might* be possible to get Windows to run
under Xen on non-VT hardware but I don't think anyone here has anywhere near
the spare cycles required to investigate this/

> I know some work was
> done in the past to support it but due to license issues it had to be
> pulled. Might I suggest taking a look at adapting ReactOS to Xen and maybe
> developing a shared driver or HAL that can be used for both ReactOS and
> Windows.

A ReactOS port has been mentioned before - it's a good idea but needs
volunteers to make it happen.  As you say, a nice benefit is that code
related to the ReactOS port (e.g. the virtual device drivers) could be reused
for Windows.

Cheers,
Mark