RE: Re: [Xen-devel] Why are I/O rings bidirectional?

To: <harry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Re: [Xen-devel] Why are I/O rings bidirectional?
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 13:31:41 -0000
Cc: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "McGroarty" <mcgroarty@xxxxxxxxx>, <ian.pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 13:32:51 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Is there anything to prevent the deadlock where the ring is
> entirely full of requests such that there is no space to put
> in any responses?

Each request generates (at most) one response so this can't happen. If
you additionally wanted some fixed number of outstanding in-band
"unsolicited responses" then you'd need to allocate headroom
appropriately. We haven't had the need to do this as all control is