Re: [Xen-devel] How do I keep a crashed domain around?

To: Kip Macy <kmacy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, mike.wray@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] How do I keep a crashed domain around?
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 03:38:30 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 05:48:37 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I want to examine the state of a crashed domain - what flag do I have to
> set to keep it from being killed? I currently have *no* useful
> information from xen (other than FAULT10 as a fault address) on why it
> is dying.

It's xend that does the reaping of crashed domains. The debugger
is going to need a hook into xend such that xend gets told not to
destroy the domain until it's explicitly asked.

I guess this could be hooked off something to set the reboot
status of a domain, which probably already exists even though
there isn't an xm command line tool option for it. We currently
have reboot = always/never/on_reboot and could add a new mode
called 'freeze' that preserves the dead domain for post mortem
debugging.

E.g. when the debugger attaches it would issue an
'xm rebootstatus domid freeze', or similar. Once you've finished
debugging, issue an explicit destroy.

Mike: does this sound sensible?

Thanks,
Ian