Re: [Xen-devel] atropos scheduler params

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Diwaker Gupta <diwakergupta@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] atropos scheduler params
From: "Mark A. Williamson" <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 00:20:00 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 00:21:23 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> - the scheduling param *has* to be specified at boot time right, or
> does Xen allow changing the scheduling scheme at run time??

You can currently only change at boot time.  There aren't any plans to allow
runtime changes - sysadmins will probably just statically configure the
scheduler that they prefer for their setup.

> o is DOM the vm ID or the vm NAME (as appearing in xm list)

I expect vm ID will work.  Not sure if the name will also work...

> o some examples with typical values would be great

There's no examples t the moment but there's some more detail on Atropos in
the user manual and the Sched-HOWTO.

> Finally, I'm passing sched param to Xen at boot time as:
> kernel /boot/xen.gz dom0_mem=65536 sched=atropos
>
> But the machine failts to boot with a "CPU 0 is toasted" type of
> message! :-O If remove the sched param, things work just fine again.
> Any ideas?

That looks right.  The Atropos port is probably broken at the moment as it's
in the process of being updated to the latest scheduler interface.

HTH,
Mark