RE: [Xen-devel] brctl troubles - solved

To: James Harper <JamesH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] brctl troubles - solved
From: Brian Wolfe <brianw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:36:40 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 04:46:47 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I made a quickie perl script that converts the doted-quad IP to hex and
uses "DE:AD" + the IP in hex for the mac. Then I noticed that xen
increments the 3rd hex pair to make the unique mac for the vifx.x
interface. 8-P I was wondering if it wouldn't be better to choose DE:AD
and DE:AE for the first 2 elements of the random macs so you know it's a
xen box, and b: isn't DE: reserved for virtual use? Or is it another mac
range for virtual macs?

Is there a way to tell xm create what mac ady to use for the vifx.x
interface? I'd like to use a formula of my own creation to set the macs.
ALl of my IPs are in the 10.x.x.x ranges. I can simply ifconfig down the
vif, set the mac via ifconfig, then ifconfig up it, but this is a
hassle. :)

I've also run into the trouble where if you have ipv6 on a debian
machine loaded and configured, the standard network script barfs
unpredictably on transfering the IPs and routes when it's called for
start and stop. 8-P