RE: [Xen-devel] Networking not working

To: "Bernhard Duebi" <bernhard.duebi@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Xen Virtual Machine Monitor" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Networking not working
From: "James Harper" <JamesH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 13:49:09 +1000
Delivery-date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 04:56:05 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I had this problem when eth0 (tied to br0) was not in promiscuous mode.
The TLAN driver has a bug where PROMISC mode gets reset when the link
comes up (eg when you pull out the cable and put it in again). My
startup would go like this:

. modprobe tlan for eth0
. create bridge (sets PRMOMISC on eth0)
. tlan finishes initialisation, detects link, and resets PROMISC

I created a kernel patch to fix it but it seems to have been largely
ignored. I work around it by putting a sleep in the network interfaces
config and having a cron job set PROMISC every 5 minutes in the unlikely
event that it gets reset.

Try the following:
ifconfig eth0 promisc
(or whatever your Ethernet interface is)

If that fails, try
ifconfig eth0 -promisc
ifconfig eth0 promisc
in the case where the driver thinks it's already in promiscuous mode and
doesn't set the hardware accordingly

HTH

James

ITManagersJournal