Re: [Xen-devel] win4lin on Xen

To: Tom Cranbrook <tcranbrook@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] win4lin on Xen
From: Christian Limpach <Christian.Limpach@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 00:09:17 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 00:11:18 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 05:28:59PM -0400, Tom Cranbrook wrote:
> I think I'v tracked pretty much every thing down and that I can merge these
> patches.  Will take some hand work, but .. so what.
>
> I do have a questions about one thing in the include/asm--i386/segment.h
> file.  This changes the layout of the per-CPU GDT rather substantually.  Is
> this likely to poison Xen?

Xen reserves entries 256 - 296 (FIRST_RESERVED_GDT_ENTRY -
LAST_RESERVED_GDT_ENTRY).  You might be able to change MKI? to
not use those entries, unless it really needs all the entries
it reserves...

Also note that updating GDT entries in a Xen guest isn't
straightforward but needs to be done using HYPERVISOR_update_descriptor.
See updating of the 3 TLS entries for examples....

    christian